Saturday, May 29, 2010

Praise vs Encouragement

Lesson for today: People’s praise and opinions are INSIGNIFICANT.

“We humans are only a breath; none of us are truly great. All of us together weigh less than a puff of air.” –Psalm 62v9

Breath = puff of air = LIGHTER than air = vapor.

When someone says, “My, you look good today,” you’re thinking to yourself, “Thanks for the vaporous remark.” On the outside you’re polite, of course, and reply with a gracious, “Thank you.” But on the inside you’re not receiving the praise.

Wait a minute! This doesn’t mean we don’t encourage each other.

Too many leaders expect their people to encourage themselves. If we’re too busy to be friendly, then we’re out of balance. It can’t help build any relationship, so this is bad news for leaders who don’t go by this principle.

World renounced leader and author John C. Maxwell is said to be such a gifted encourager that everyone in the room feel SO VALUED after just an hour in his presence. Wow! I would like to work with that guy; furthermore I want to be LIKE that guy.

You might be saying: “I don’t think it works for me because I’m an introvert, I don’t really talk much, I’m not that good with people, so I guess I’m just gonna pass this one out.” Wrong! Just a simple smile can show approval to someone.

How? You’re an audience listening to an amateur speaker. That guy up there looks like he’s gonna pass out because it’s his first time, then he looks at you…If you give a smile and maybe add a little nod, I tell you, he’ll remember you till he’s gone.

Remember: Encouragement has to be made deliberately/on purpose. But once it’s done, a simple encouragement can make a difference that goes a long LONG way.

Conclusion: I do not seek/look for the praise of other people, but I do seek to honor and encourage other believers as much as possible.

Encourage and be a blessing to someone today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment