Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rejection? *Shrug~

This letter is the fictitious response of a graduate who applied to many universities for a teaching position. After receiving a plethora of the standardized rejections, he finally became exasperate to the point of writing this response to one of the universities:

Dear Professor Worthington,
Thank you for your letter of March 23. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me an assistant professor position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such varied and promising field of opportunities, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite Whitson University’s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will assume the position of assistant professor in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,
TJ Baggins

Wouldn’t it be nice if rejection were this easy to process? A simple shrug of the shoulders, a quick retort that “your rejection does not meet my needs at this time,” and then a backhanded dismissal of the pain. Poof—gone!
But it ain’t that easy.
The above is taken from a book by Bob Sorge, “Dealing with the Rejection and Praise of Man”. Real good stuffs, contains many truths about rejection and praise that lasts a lifetime, and I still got half of the book to go! Interested? Then get hold of the book. Can’t? Okay I’ll blog some points from it, these are good stuff for everyone to know, and I don’t wanna be selfish ;)

Here’s something I leave with you before I end.

Rejection and praise is a vast subject, if you find the points/examples that might be given later incomplete or “Okay, I understand what you’re saying, but you’re not really addressing what happened to me”, I would direct you to the words of Jesus who said, “Go and learn what this means” (Matthew 9v13). Jesus told His listeners to do their own Bible study.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment