Friday, November 26, 2010

Whatever…

Doesn’t sound pleasant right? Yeah if used in a certain way, it doesn’t sound nice. Huh? You don’t get me? Ok let’s take a look at a few examples shall we? Here’s one:

“I think this option is pretty good, don’t you think?”
“Whatever…”

Alright hold that thought; now let’s look at another example:

“Do you think he’ll agree with me?”
“Don’t worry, whatever your idea is I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

Okay I don’t know if you get me already or you’re still blurring.

The 1st example is more like slang-talk, indicating that we dismiss something. The other example is kind of what you’ll find in the dictionary, meaning “anything that” or “no matter what”.

So now you see the difference?

The word “whatever” is now also used widely when ignoring someone, dismissing a topic, or rejecting an idea. I didn’t used to mind when I say that until I heard some people say that to me and I felt uncomfortable, or when someone else felt uncomfortable when I say that.

What’s wrong with it anyway?

Years ago I read or heard somewhere that a survey shows that the most irritating, annoying, offensive word is “whatever”. After pondering and experiencing some…unpleasant experiences, I think it’s true that people find it offensive when spoken in such a way it conveys a message that says “I don’t care what you’re talking about”.

After realizing that, I’ve made it an effort not to use the word simply, till now I’m still keeping that in mind but I had let it slip occasionally when my emotions were flying (well…more like storming).

I sympathize with those who had tried to contribute their thoughts and ideas but had been just put aside, dismissed, or even rejected by a mere “whatever”. Most of the time the person saying it didn’t purposely want to “reject” you, it’s just because this slang had become such a norm, and people ignore the effects it leaves on the poor victim…

I leave this to you to think about it. Some of you readers might feel like shouting a loud “whatever” in my face after reading this post, but I don’t mind.

WHATEVER your reaction may be, God loves you^^

No comments:

Post a Comment